QK is a leader in providing civil engineering services in the San Joaquin Valley. We’ve been helping public and private sector clients for over 40 years. Our team of professionals has a wealth of experience on a variety of project types. Our experienced professionals have expertise in all critical subdisciplines of civil engineering.
Our decades of experience in providing engineering services to public agencies throughout the state makes us the most helpful firm in California to provide a complete array of services, including the following:
- Preliminary Design Reports (PDRs)
- Utility Planning and Coordination
- Storm Drainage Design
- Water Storage, Distribution, and Supply
- Sanitary Sewer Design
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Management Plans for Water, Sewer, and Storm Drainage
- Infrastructure Master Plans and Fee Studies
- Street and Road Design
- Roundabout Design
- Grade Separations
- Traffic Signal, Signage, and Pavement Delineation Design
- Pavement Management
- Construction Engineering, Observation and Monitoring, Management, and Permitting
- Development Plan Checking Services
- Grant Writing and Project Funding Assistance
In addition, QK helps many of our city clients as their contract City Engineer and many water district clients as their contract District Engineer, and providing these clients access to the full range of services and resources of our company. We help our city clients expand their “staff” as needed to cover their engineering needs.
Design Applications and Systems
Capitalizing on the latest technology available in civil engineering design, QK has implemented the use of Autodesk, Bentley, ESRI, CartêGraph, and a number of smaller design packages. The implementation of these industry standard applications and systems allows our engineering teams to create accurate three-dimensional models of the existing and proposed infrastructure. In doing so, potential conflicts often not discovered until construction are revealed, allowing for multiple alternatives to quickly be evaluated and visualized in three-dimensions. This can greatly reduce the potential for costly change orders.
QK’s traffic engineering staff includes licensed civil and traffic engineers with extensive experience in the subdisciplines essential to providing complete traffic engineering services. The firm provides professional and technical consulting services to public agencies, including Caltrans, cities, counties, and schools, as well as private development clients. Our senior traffic engineering staff has a combined total of more than 40 years of experience. Their experience and diversity makes them helpful in all phases of a project, including preliminary planning, design, and construction management.
- Traffic Engineering Design
- Traffic Operations Analysis
- Transportation Studies
- Traffic Engineering Reports
- Traffic Signal Design
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities
- Active Transportation Plans
- Neighborhood Traffic Calming
- Safe Routes to School
- Roadway Lighting
- Ramp Metering
- Sign Lighting
- Traffic Handling
- Pavement Delineation
- Expert Witness Testimony for Traffic-Related Matters
- Traffic Signal and Traffic Signal System Evaluation
- Red Light Traffic Monitoring Facilities
- Engineering and Traffic Surveys (Speed Zone Studies)
- On- and Off-Street Parking Analysis Studies
- Parking Facilities Design
- Traffic Control Device Assessments
Utility coordination is often an area that causes delays during construction if not initiated early in the project. We help our clients by focusing on critical components to address this potential issue proactively. We make sure that all affected utilities are properly contacted, and most importantly followed up with to ensure that the project progresses without costly and frustrating delays.
QK has more than 38 years of experience in the field of dry utilities. Working with many utility companies – SCE, PG&E, Comcast, AT&T, Southern California Gas Company, California Water Services, Union Pacific Railroad, Rail America Railroad, San Joaquin Valley Railroad, – and City and County agencies, our utility staff is working on projects involving major relocations, cell towers, grade separations, railroad permitting and agreements, road improvements, and new power connections.
Our utility staff has a combined total of more than 68 years of experience. Their relationships and experience gives us a unique advantage in helping our clients with this very tedious area of their projects.
Services include the following:
- Submittals of Improvement Plans to Affected Utility Company
- Preparation of Utility Company Applications and Contract Reviews
- Coordination services for Subdivisions and Commercial Developments
- Joint Trench Composites
- Coordination of Relocations for Road Improvements/Widening Projects
- Coordination of New Power Connections for Well Sites and Lift Stations
- Coordination of On-Site Upgrades with Local Power Company
- Rule 20A Underground Districts
- Researching Utility Locations for Design and Construction
- Research and Due Diligence Reports – Site Specific
- Coordination of Power Connections for New Streetlights and Traffic Signals
- Coordination and Permitting/License Agreements with Railroads
- Site Development, Site Acquisition and Zoning for Cell Towers
QK’s highly qualified construction personnel specialize in a full range of pre-construction, construction and post-construction-phase services including construction procurement, observation and monitoring, resident project representation, construction management, and construction administration for all types of public and private projects. Our professional staff thoroughly understands the construction process to help our clients with the experience, knowledge and insight needed to make informed decisions throughout the construction process.
Here’s how our Construction Management Team helps clients:
- Construction Procurement (Bidding Services)
- Construction Management
- Construction Observation and Monitoring
- Construction Quality Assurance
- Bid-ability and Constructability Reviews
- Coordination and Inspection of Utility Relocations
- Project Coordination and Administration
- Construction Contract Administration and Permitting
- Construction Closeout
- Construction Claim Analysis and Support
- State-approved Labor Compliance Program
- Resident Project Engineer, including Caltrans Resident Engineering
- Resident Project Representative
QK’s knowledgeable Labor Compliance staff understands that Labor Compliance Programs (LCPs) are a necessary component of public works construction projects as part of the effort to enforce the State’s Prevailing Wage Rates and the Federal government’s Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations.
QK’s LCP is applicable to all public works projects whether the project is funded with local, State, or federal funds. Our LCP coordinators are properly trained in executing the LCP process and the laws governing such programs to help 21st century clients navigate a jungle of regulations.